Manchester Attacks: Live Updates

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

*Warning: This article contains graphic images. Viewer discretion is advised.*
*Update*

A trainee pilot has been arrested in West Sussex in connection with the Manchester attack. He is the 16th person to be arrested.

*Update*

Authorities have arrested three other people in connection with the Manchester attack. This brings the total number of people in custody to four, including the bomber’s brother.

*Update*

Accused Manchester attacker, Salman Abedi, traveled to Libya for three weeks prior to the bombing. He returned to the U.K. only days before the attack.

Manchester attacker, Salman Abedi

Manchester bomber, Salman Abedi

*Update*

Singer Ariana Grande has suspended the remainder of her world tour in light of last night’s events.

Ariana Grande cancels world tour after Manchester attack.

The singer is said to be “heartbroken and in hysterics” following the attack.

*Update*
UN Security Council Condemns “Barbaric Attack”

“The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the barbaric and cowardly terrorist attack which took place in Manchester,” the UNSC said.

The UNSC added that “terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security”

*Update*

So far authorities have found no connection between the attacker and any established terror group. Also, no final determination has been made in regard to the sophistication of the explosive device.

*Update*

Authorities have identified 22 year-old Salman Abedi as the Manchester attacker. More information to come.

*Update*

Queen Elizabeth, along with Prince Philip, hold a moment of silence at Buckingham palace in tribute to Manchester victims.

Queen Elizabeth holds moment of silence at Buckingham Palace for Manchester victims.

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip observe a minute’s silence, at the start of a garden party at Buckingham Palace in London, Tuesday, May 23, 2017.
(Dominic Lipinski/Pool Photo via AP)

*Update*

Prince William releases statement regarding last night’s terror attack.

Prince William issues statement regarding last night's Manchester attack.

*Update*

Prince Charles releases a statement regarding last night’s terror attack.

Prince Charles issues statement on Manchester attack

Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla

“My wife and I were so profoundly shocked to learn of the truly dreadful event which took place in Manchester last night,” read a statement from the Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

“That such a large number of people, including so many young concert-goers, lost their lives or have suffered so much in this appalling atrocity is deeply distressing and fills us with intense sadness.

“Words cannot adequately express what so many families must be feeling at this incredibly difficult time and our most heartfelt sympathy is with all those who have so tragically lost loved ones or who have been affected in some way.”

*Update*

Authorities are asking for the public’s assistance.

Authorities ask for dashcam footage of last night Manchester Arena attack

*Update*

Manchester Arena, the site of last night’s deadly attack, has issued a statement via Twitter.

Manchester Arena issues statement after last nights attack leaves 22 dead, 59 injured.

The devastating attack came as concertgoers were leaving an Ariana Grande concert.

A powerful explosion shook part Manchester Arena late Monday in the deadliest terror attack on British soil since the 2005 London bombings.
Authorities say they believe a man carrying explosives acted as a lone attacker and died in the blast. A 23-year-old man was arrested Tuesday in south Manchester in connection to the bombing.
Though terror group ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, they have offered no evidence to support the claim. It is not unusual for the group to claim responsibility for attacks it has no verifiable links to. British authorities have no released any information about the details of the attack either.
Reactions come swiftly.
Attack at Manchester Arena after Ariana Grande concert leaves 22 Dead and 59 Injured

People tend to the injured. Photo credit @ AP

While any terror attack is devastating, this one seems to have hit a particular cord with the world given that so many of those in attendance were children.┬áSpeaking after an emergency Cabinet meeting, British Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the attack as “callous” and “cowardly.”

“It is now beyond doubt that the people of Manchester and of this country have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack — an attack that targeted some of the youngest people in our society with cold calculation,” May said. “We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage.”
Queen Elizabeth II also expressed her feelings Tuesday saying that “the whole nation has been shocked.” Her Majesty however also offered words of admiration for the people of Manchester.
“I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity,” she said.
Thoughts and prayers have poured in from around the world. From world leaders to entertainers to citizens, shock and heartbreak seem to be abundant. None more so than from the headliner herself, Ariana Grande, who has been described as being “broken and hysterical”. According to celebrity gossip site, TMZ, the singer is suspending the rest of her tour indefinitely.
The Days Ahead
Explosion at Manchester Arena following Ariana Grande concert leaves 22 dead and 59 injured.

The injured are assisted by emergency personnel. Photo credit @ Joel Goodman

With many people still missing, authorities and families alike are struggling with the chaos that naturally surrounds such events. Many have taken to social media in an effort to find their loved ones. Facebook activated its “Safety Check” feature and Twitter users are utilizing hashtags, among other things, trying to connect people.

In a beautiful act of solidarity, many people in Manchester offered rides and warm beds to those that might need them. Surrounding hotels offered the same with many families converging to the surrounding areas in an effort to find those missing.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham described the attack as “our darkest of nights.”
“Manchester is today waking up to the most difficult of dawns. It is hard to believe what has happened here in the last few hours and to put into words the shock, anger and hurt that we feel today. These were children, young people and their families that those responsible chose to terrorize and kill. This was an evil act,” he said.
London will also see a heavier police presence Tuesday, the mayor’s office said.
Britain has been under a “severe” terror threat alert for three years and there has been an uptick in terror-related arrests in recent months.
We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.